The National Disability Insurance Scheme

People with HD may be eligible for support packages through the National Insurance and Disability Scheme (NDIS). Navigating through the NDIS is difficult if you have not done so before. If you would like assistance in accessing the NDIS, you could contact your local HD clinic. If you do not have one, get in touch with a relevant HD State Association for assistance. The details of the HD State Associations in Australia can be found here.

The NDIS may provide several forms of support for you and your family. These supports can range between minimal and extensive support. An example of minimal support is having someone to help with the shopping. Examples of more extensive support include, modifications to your home, visits from allied health clinicians, or in-home support workers to assist with household tasks. What you receive from the NDIS depends on what you need.  

Sometimes living at home is no longer possible. To access the right type of care, a person may move into a residential living facility. Residential care is accessed on a permanent or temporary (respite) basis. Talk to your HD clinician or your relevant HD State Association to understand how to access these services. 

Aged Care Services

The government provides three types of aged care services – help at home, short-term care and aged care homes. To qualify for assessment you must meet some needs and age requirements. These requirements check:

  • how much assistance you need with everyday tasks, and
  • that you are 65 years or older (50 years or older for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people)

Note: please call the My Aged Care contact centre on 1800 200 422 to discuss your situation if you are:

  • on a low income
  • homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, and
  • aged 50 years or older (45 years or older for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people).